Wednesday 13 September 2017

It's been a long time

Hi guys,
Well I know it's been a long time since my last post and far longer than I wanted it to be. But there is this thing called life that has got in the way of any and all attempts to do anything radio related including this blog.
This is about to change as I have a new handheld radio and that radio has only been out for a few weeks or so too. That radio is a Radioddity GD-77 the new dual band analogue and DMR radio.
The radio itself is very cheap for one with so many features, but as with all these Chinese radios, the interface is not intuitive in any way shape or form. The manual isn't any better and does more to confuse you than actually help anyone getting started in the very confusing world of DMR. Then there is the software which while it has a "help" system, it is totally confusing and just as useless for the beginner as the manual is.

Having said all that, the radio has a solid construction, the buttons have a solid click when pressed. Three of those buttons are dual function, meaning that a short press or a long press perform different functions. These functions are user programmable via the software so as they can be set to any of over 20 functions. The audio quality seems to be pretty good, in fact it's far better than I expected it to be for such a cheap radio (under £80).

Anyway there should be enough of a teaser of my next few posts in the above which I am hoping to get done over the next few days as long as nothing crops up and I can get my head fully around DMR and the programming software.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment