Wednesday 13 September 2017

Radioddity GD-77 charger potententially very DANGEROUS !

I would be amiss if I didn't give you all a warning about the Radioddity GD-77 charger and yes it is potentially dangerous !

The charger has a standard USB connector as the output to the docking station, now you may be thinking what is so dangerous about that ? well I am about to tell you.

It kind of looks like any other USB charger out there doesn't it ?

Well this charger has a little secret that is hidden in the fine print on the side of it.
You may think it's just a USB charger that outputs 5v at anything from 500mA-3000mA and you would be forgiven for thinking so.
Now here is what could potentially make this innocuous little USB charger so dangerous. It DOES NOT output 5v like you would expect, the output is actually 12V at 500mA !!

How do you think your expensive iphone or whatever you charge via USB is going to react to that ?
My bet would be lots of expensive magic smoke would be released !

So do yourself a favour right now! Put a BIG label on the charger telling you that it is not a 5v output and that the real output is 12v !

5 comments:

  1. I noticed that right away. Before finding and reading your warning here, I had put a large CAUTION 12VDC OUT label one it. Makes you wonder if the manufacturer is aware what standardization is all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy in my opinion that they have done this and in such a way that it is not obvious unless you look very carefully. My eyes are not what they used to be and it only luck that I saw it.

      Delete
  2. There was a caution labelsealing rhw little usb charger block in the bag, i carefully pulled that off and stuck it on the block. Im going to 3d print a plug and leash it to the charger for when it is not un use... keeps the dust out too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine didn't have one of those stickers. I can only assume that as mine was from one of the early batches that they didn't include them them. I would be interested to see your 3d printed solution and possibly with your permission add it to this post along with obvious attribution to yourself. If you have a blog I could also add a link to your post on the subject.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete